June 13, 2024

Ibadan Explosion : 2 Die, 77 Injured, Buildings Destroyed as Rescue Operation Continues

3 min read

No fewer than two persons have been confirmed dead with 77 others sustaining varying degrees of injuries as a deadly explosion rocked the popular Ace Building in the Bodija area of Ibadan, Tuesday evening. Other buildings and property in the surrounding neighbourhood were also destroyed by the impact of the explosion.

The evening explosion, which sent shock waves across the city, created confusion and suspense among residents as different interpretations were given to the loud explosion and the huge flame of fire which many also attributed to different causes.

However, Oyo State governor, Seyi Makinde, who visited the scene of the deadly explosion, provided a clue to cause of the loud explosion, from his post on his X handle. Amidst the confusion which pervaded the state capital as a result of the explosion, Governor Makinde said on his X account, ” Preliminary investigations by the security agencies revealed that illegal miners occupying one of the houses in Bodija had stored explosive devices there which caused the blast. The investigations are ongoing. All those found culpable for this will be brought to book.”

In an official statement released early on Wednesday, the governor said: ”We visited the scene of the explosion which occurred at about 7.44 pm yesterday, 16 January 2024 in Bodija, Ibadan. This unfortunate incident resulted in death and injury to residents in the vicinity and also affected properties. We have already deployed first responders and all relevant agencies within Oyo State to carry out comprehensive search and rescue operations. These operations will continue throughout the night.

”Earth moving equipment, ambulances, emergency lights, and security were deployed to the scene of the incident. The wounded and injured are being treated and moved to public and private hospitals within Ibadan. Medical personnel are on standby at these hospitals to provide all needed assistance to the injured. We have visited UCH to see some of those injured during the incident.

”In total, we have 77 injured victims so far, most of whom were treated and discharged and 2 fatalities. May their souls rest in peace and may God give their loved ones the fortitude to bear this irreparable loss.”

The governor stated further; “I have directed that the medical bills of all victims be covered by the government. We will also be providing temporary accommodation for those whose houses were affected and ensuring that they are supported to rebuild their lives.

”Preliminary investigations by the security agencies revealed that illegal miners occupying one of the houses in Bodija had stored explosive devices there which caused the blast. The investigations are ongoing. All those found culpable for this will be brought to book.

”I urge all residents to please call 615 for any emergencies they may be experiencing at this time and to remain calm and stay away from the immediate scene of the incident to allow rescue operations to be carried out without interference.

”We are grateful to the first responders, security personnel and all those who are at the scene to assist with the rescue operations as well as the medical personnel taking care of the injured.

”Please say a prayer for those who have been affected by this disaster as we continue with the rescue operations.”

Contact Us


Please verify.
Validation complete :)
Validation failed :(
 
Thank you! 👍 Your message was sent successfully! We will get back to you shortly.