June 13, 2024

Suspect Silent as Police Seek Motive for Fatal Shooting at Mercedes – Benz Plant

1 min read

A factory staff at work at Mercedes-Benz plant in Sindelfingen (PHOTO: Mercedes-Benz Newsroom)

The  53-year-old Turkish citizen, who is the suspect in the shooting attack at a Mercedes-Benz factory that left two people dead,  was staying silent and his motive remains unclear, German investigators said on Friday.

There are “are no definite findings so far” as to what may have prompted the killings, the police and the public prosecutor’s office said, adding that a 17-member investigative team had been formed.

They said nothing had been ruled out at this point, including a political motive.

Two 44-year-old employees of an external service provider were killed on Thursday when the suspect opened fire at the sprawling Mercedes factory site in Sindelfingen, near the city of Stuttgart.

One of the victims died on the spot, the other died a short time later in hospital.

The two victims and the suspect worked for Rhenus, a logistics firm.

Plant security staff overpowered the perpetrator, detaining him and handing him over to the police. He did not resist arrest.

A magistrate at the district court in Stuttgart issued arrest warrants for manslaughter against the suspect.

Production in Hall 56, where the crime took place, remains halted for the time being. On Monday, there will be a minute’s silence at the plant in Sindelfingen, where around 35,000 people work, a Mercedes spokesman said.

Contact Us


Please verify.
Validation complete :)
Validation failed :(
 
Thank you! 👍 Your message was sent successfully! We will get back to you shortly.